• R.C. Finley establishes a mill below the falls near Crawfordsville
• The Magnolia Flour Mill is built in Albany, drawing business from Finley’s Crawfordsville Mills
• Finley establishes a 2nd mill at the falls near Crawfordsville
• Finley partners with Philemon V. Crawford and Alexander Brandon to build Boston Mills
• Finley buys the right to build a dam across the Calapooia River and obtains Territorial Water Rights (35 cfs).
• Boston Mills opens for business
• Town of Boston platted
• First mill burns down
• Mill rebuilt with two water turbines (a 46” Perfection and a 24” Perfection).
• William Simmons builds mill keeper’s house
• Crawford and Brandon sell shares to William Simmons
• Simmons becomes the postmaster of the town of Boston
• Approximately eighty people live in the vicinity of Boston
• Oregon and California Railroad establishes a new stop at Shedd (Shedd’s Station)
• Mill opens warehouse adjacent to railroad
• Simmons sells shares to Al and Ed Simmons
• Simmons buys back his shares
• Finley sells his shares to Stan and Alice Noel, who three months later sell to Martin Thompson
• Martin Thompson buys out William Simmons and becomes full owner
• Thompson supplements light mill stones with more modern steel roller mills
• Small dormer added on south elevation for sifting equipment
• The mill first installed a Direct Current (DC) generator. It was powered by a turbine and housed in a “fire-proof” room on the first floor of the mill.
• Martin Thompson constructs current mill keeper’s Queen Anne-style house
• Two story addition on mill, office relocated to south side of the mill
• Old Simmons house comes down
• Martin Thompson dies. Wife, Sophia and sons Otto and Leo form partnership to operate the mill.
• Name changes eventually to Thompson’s Flouring Mills.
• South roof dormer enlarged, a single story extension was constructed on the north end of the mill, complete with loading dock and bracketed roof.
• Cupola/ventilator added. Water tower constructed across driveway
• WWI mill operates 24 hours/day, peak flour production
• 35” Leffel turbine installed.
• Four grain silos constructed; 1862 storage shed moved to the north side of the building. Large millstones removed.
• Ott Thompson changes mill name to Thompson’s Flouring Mills
• Thompson’s shipping warehouse built in Shedd
• Ott’s son Myrle becomes partner in business
• Wooden flume replaced with concrete, providing space for three turbines (1916 Leffel, Two 30” turbines), to increase power capacity.
• 100 foot concrete walls built along tail race, concrete foundation piers added.
• New roof and expansions in the north warehouse area
• Office constructed along new flume and head gates.
• Roof of original mill elevated, creating a third floor. Additional water rights were secured.
Switch from wagons and horses to steam, then gas-powered trucks
• Mill ceases production of wheat flour altogether
• New pellet mill purchased, fully water-powered.
• All water rights for the Calapooia River formally “adjudicated”
• Interstate-5 constructed less than 1 mile to east
• Otto Thompson dies. His son Myrle assumes management of the mill under a corporation between Myrle, Sylva and Orval
• Mill name changes to Thompson’s Mills Inc.
• Mill goes up for sale. Merlene and Jim Danaher (Babits) purchase the mill.
• Mill and house placed on the National Register of Historic Places
• Water mismanagement caused a summertime collapse of a major portion of the mill. Repairs made the same year.
• A water-powered electrical generator was placed online, and a 20-year Powered Sales Agreement was signed, supplementing failing feed sales revenues.
• Extensive flood damage occurs to water gates and one turbine. The 1916 Leffel turbine is replaced by a new Thomas Bros. Turbine. Repairs of the head gates and trash racks begin.
• OPRD purchases the property
• Power Sales Agreement terminated.
• Thompson warehouse in Shedd demolished.
• OPRD sells 12 cfs of the 1858 water rights to enhance river health.